Saturday, May 7, 2011

He Did What?

Guys,

Since this is my first post on my first blog, I want to give you a preview for what is to come. First, I can promise that I love fun facts and figures that no one knows about. Whether these are from history or sports, you will definitely get your dose of meaningless knowledge that you will probably use with your friends and family later that day. Second, I want to tell you that I plan on rotating topics and seriousness. Obviously, I don't want to bore you with serious stuff everyday or write about just one thing. Finally, I will appreciate any comments and back and forth banter. I love debating and discussing topics so don't hold back.

When I was in second grade, my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. Normally, the popular answer for any kid that age would be a firefighter, an astronaut, or just like their dad. Well, I can say that I proudly said I wanted to be President of the United States. I always have always loved history and politics and the facts that go along with them. As a fun way to get to know this amazing office, I would look up every small fact about the office. Now as a reward for you, I will present my top ten to you.

1. Eight Presidents were born as British subjects: Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Q. Adams, Andrew Jackson, and William Harrison. Which means the first true American President was good ole Martin Van Buren.

2. The Oldest president elected was Ronald Reagan at 69, and JFK was the youngest at 43. However, the youngest person to ever serve as President was Teddy Roosevelt at 42.

3. Gerald Ford was the first person to serve as President without being nationally elected to either the office of the President or Vice-President

4. The richest President to serve in the office was probably George Washington with a net worth of about 525 Million Dollars and the poorest was probably James Garfield.

5. The President that occupies the front of the dime is non other that Franklin D. Roosevelt.

6. While the President usually has a dog or a cat, there are some that had some pretty interesting ones. John Quincy Adams and Hoover both had pet alligators. Calvin Coolidge had two lions, a wallaby, a pygmy. Theodore Roosevelt kept a badger.

7. Since the end of WWII, the taller of the two main party candidates has won the election 75% of the time. Nixon, Carter, and George W. Bush are the only people to defeat a taller rival.

8. John Q. Adams was known for his customary early morning swims in the nude in the Potomac River.

9. Andrew Johnson's inauguration as vice-president was slightly different in the fact that he was incredibly drunk when he arrived.

10. Theodore Roosevelt, after being shot in an assassination attempt, gave a 90 minute speech after. The doctors decided that the bullet was too dangerous to remove, so he lived the rest of his days with it.

Well I hope you enjoyed the previous facts. I hope to write again soon.

Until Next Time,

Bradley Perry

1 comment:

  1. also, it is common knowledge that Al Gore invented the internet while trying to impress Reagan while vacationing in Rio. Obviously, Reagan wasn't impressed since he has access to all of the information in the world anyway.

    ReplyDelete