Thursday, May 5, 2011

Just A Pinch Of Salt

Gals,

When I have time, my favorite thing to do nowadays is cook! I love being able to put a bunch of random ingredients together and turn it into a delicious masterpiece!  I wouldn't say that I'm an expert in the kitchen, but I have learned a lot growing up with my father, who also enjoys cooking as one of his favorite hobbies.

Although he has taught me all of the fundamentals of cooking (including how to use a knife safely and how to avoid any other catastrophes in the kitchen), there are always those times when I feel as though I'm not the most graceful chef in the kitchen.  Everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect!

While reading my favorite magazine yesterday (Food Network Magazine), I found that the most recent edition (May 2011) includes an entire section devoted to informing people of those helpful tips that make it easier when working in the kitchen.  I want to share just a few of my favorites with y'all:

1. If you burn yourself, dip the burn in egg whites, let it dry, then repeat 2 times.  It will hurt like crazy at first, but then the whites will form a seal and insulate the burn from heat and air, so you can keep working (without the pain).

2. For an easy weeknight meal, save and freeze leftover sauces from previous meals in ice cube trays.  The cubes can be reheated in a saute pan when you need a quick sauce.



3. Do not use oil in the water when boiling pasts: It will keep the sauce from sticking to the cooked pasta!

4. When chopping herbs, toss a little salt onto the cutting board; it will keep the herbs from flying around.



5. After working with garlic, rub your hands vigorously on your stainless-steel sink for 30 seconds before washing them.  It will remove the odor.

Well, I hope you enjoyed those fun tips as much as I did when I first read them!  You can check out the rest of these fun tips here!

Until Next Time,

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment